So this was the vision: a summer outfit with pair of big flowy pants out of this awsome woven snake quilters' cotton that would be cool but still protect him from the sun and a turquoise cotton lycra onsie with a (way too elaborate) snake hand embroidered on the front. Other than the snake, it was a fairly rational idea.
Now that I see the picture I'm trying to think of ways to salvage it. I could cut the snake out and applique it onto a shirt that would fit him next year, for instance. But I think it may be better to let this sleeping dog lie.
So now I'm onto my next project, which, I'm happy to say, includes a simpler embroidery. I just loved that celestial fabric I used for those navy Pomegranate Pants, so I thought I'd build an outfit around that. (I have to say though that it's never a good sign when I'm thinking in oufits. I much prefer to dress myself and my children in mix and match type stuff. There is just something too goofy about tops and bottoms that match in theme. But obviously, I find the pull of the outfit idea nearly irresistible, as far as my crafting goes.)
I dyed a piece of the print and a piece of white cotton lycra a deep bright yellow. I was hoping that the navy blue in the print would survive unchanged -- it matched the corduroy so perfectly, but of course it didn't. Now it's a murkier looking navy that doesn't match the cord quite as well. But it's close enough to make cute baby pants. The c/l turned out very pretty and I think will make a nice background for some celestial embroideries. I'm planning on a planet with ring a la saturn (which is also in the print) on the sleeve and a man in the moon (traced from the print) on the front and a shooting star somewhere. Here's a pic of the iron on transfer I made.
Alright, I'm off to embroider!